Business process outsourcing in Bulgaria
Within less than 10 years Bulgaria has established itself as a leading global destination for outsourcing and nearshoring
The winners in Europe are Bulgaria and Romania, which continue to stay comfortably in the upper half of the
index, at 17th and 25th, respectively. Members of the European Union but with lower cost profile than most other member states, they are the new offshoring stars in Europe.
Shifting Geography of Offshoring, A. T. Kearney Global Services Location Index™, 2011
According to the Yearbook data of the British National Outsourcing Association (NOA) Bulgaria once again is among the stars in the off shoring and outsourcing industry, this time as a popular destination for the pharmaceutical sector.
- Employees in the Bulgarian BPO sector grew from 0 to 15 000+ over the last 10 years
- Clients in Western Europe, North America and Asia are served from the BPO sector in Bulgaria – the majority being Fortune 500 or Fortune 1000 companies
- The average BPO company presented in this brochure provides services in more than 25 languages
…due to a qualified and talented workforce, competent in many languages and technical areas…
…If you want first-class mathematicians, try looking in Bulgaria.
William Fitzsimmons, Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid, Harvard College
With an abundance of educated and multilingual prospective employees, Bulgaria is certain to continue to make inroads into global business process outsourcing.
Sofia GDC is considered a strategic location for IBM. The qualified young team has allowed it to innovate and establish best practices that are implemented across the IBM network of global delivery centers.
Joseph Lazarus, General manager, IBM GDC Bulgaria
Bulgaria prides itself on the system of foreign language secondary schools where after a year of intensive study of a foreign language students switch to studying main subjects in the respective foreign language.
BPO industry in Bulgaria has significant growth potential
- Besides Sofia, other major cities such as Plovdiv, Varna, Burgas, Veliko Turnovo, Blagoevgrad and Ruse have excellent university programs and significant BPO potential
- About 60 000 students graduate annually from all Bulgarian universities. About 50% of the graduates obtain degrees in majors suitable for the needs of the BPO industry
- Estimated 80 000 Bulgarian students study abroad and present a major labour source for BPO companies in Bulgaria
- Costs of doing business in Bulgaria are the lowest in SEE with average salary of € 327/ month and office rent price of €9-19/sq.m.
Cost of labour and real estate are likely to remain relatively low in the medium term